A new module for performing tail-call elimination

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Fri Jul 17 05:00:59 EDT 2015

On 07/16/2015 08:58 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> Nice of you to illustrate how being pedantic about something, can
>> make a response useless with regard to the intended original question.
> Just because your intention in giving that code was X, doesn't mean that
> others cannot use that code to also do Y.
>
> Your example of a mutually recursive pair of functions is perfectly fine as
> a toy example to demonstrate a point. But the fact that people can only
> come up with toy examples to demonstrate the uses of unbounded recursion is
> telling. That's *my* point. It's orthogonal to your point.

We know your point. You have repeated it often enough. There is no need
to keep bringing it up and certainly not where your point is irrelevant.

People are allowed to not care about your point. People may think it is
not worth the trouble trying to convince people who are skeptical and
may choose to discuss possible directions with people who are likewise
intressed.

So why do you find it necessary to appear here and repeat your point,
that is already known, but is not cared about much and irrelevant here.

>> I'm not here to satisfy your or anyone else's curiosity.
> Fair enough.
>
> What are you here for? When you complain that Python doesn't have TCO, is
> your intent to persuade people that it should, with the ultimate aim to
> changing Python so that it gains TCO? If not, then what?

I don't complain that Python doesn't have TCO. I am intressed in the subject
and I'm willing to discuss the pro and cons, how it could be simulated, and
how good some arguments for or against it are. But I don't think any outcome
here will have much weight in getting it implemented and although I would
prefer having it, I can perfectly live without. So don't translate my
interest in the subject into a complaint about python not having it.

I'm also not interrested in convincing people who show a dislike for it.
If the toy examples here, don't ignite a spark of imagination about how
in some circumstance this could be useful for you, then I am not interessed
in showing you.