beginners choice: wx or tk?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 04:54:08 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 12.07.15 um 09:55 schrieb Ulli Horlacher:
>>
>> wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> On Windows, there are no more usable, working GUI toolkits (wrappers).
>>

>> What is the problem with tkinter?
>> A first "hello world" program worked.
>>
> Don't listen.
> jmf is a troll, who always complains about Unicode support, which is broken
> accoring to him in all ways.
>
> In the case of Tk, sadly he would have a point: Tk only supports the BMP,
> which means that you cannot input astral characters into an entry box
> (emoticons, some rare Chinese characters...) Still most scripts *do* work.
> QT handles this better. And jmf's complaints are otherwise invalid.

I don't know about the Python bindings, but I know for sure that GTK
has excellent Unicode support. (My only concern is that one particular
API uses UTF-8 byte positions rather than Unicode codepoint indices,
which may or may not have been papered over in the Python bindings.)
Qt is probably comparable. wxPython/wxWindows maybe, maybe not, given
that it aims for Windows API similarity. But it's something worth
checking, given that Tk doesn't do so well. And yet... a few simple
tests will prove the point. Don't listen to jmf, just check if you
care.

ChrisA