beginners choice: wx or tk?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Jul 11 18:42:12 EDT 2015

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> > pyinstaller can make a standalone executable, there is no need for the
> > users to install "another library". They just click on the program icon,
> > that's it.
>
> Yeah, I'd distribute the .py files and have done with it.

This is not an option for me. My users only accept standalone executables.
They cannot install any runtime environment or extra libraries.

> distribute a whole bunch of different versions (32-bit vs 64-bit,

Is a 64 bit Windows unable to run 32 bit programs?

> Suppose, for instance, that your program does something over HTTPS, and
> people are using it in a critical environment... and then someone
> discovers a flaw in OpenSSL, which has happened now and then.

The same problem has docker - the newest and hottest computer hype ;-)

> Much better to distribute Python code without an interpreter, and let
> people get their own interpreters.

Again: this is a no-go for me, because my users cannot accept it.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Universitaet Stuttgart         Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
Allmandring 30a                Fax:    ++49-711-682357
70550 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/