beginners choice: wx or tk?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Jul 11 11:09:41 EDT 2015

In article <201507111448.t6BEmH6Z025227 at fido.openend.se>,
 Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Sat, 11 Jul 2015 13:56:09 +0200, Christian Gollwitzer writes:
> >Am 11.07.15 um 13:27 schrieb Laura Creighton:
> >> Also, if you need your app to work with MacOS, be warned that you
> >> will need an older version of tk than the most recent one.
> >> This information is current: https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/
> >> Don't use 8.6
> >I'm not sure how recent this really is. Kevin Walzer has done a lot of
> >work to get recent Tcl/Tk (i.e. 8.6) running on OSX. The most recent
> >ActiveTcl release is 8.6.4.1. I'm using exclusively Tk 8.6 on the Mac
> >without problems.
> Unless I was misinformed 2 weeks or so ago when I asked, that is the
> problem.  Tcl/Tk 8.6 works (and is shipped with) OSX, but tkinter
> and idle don't work with it.  We will see what Ned Deily says
> when he gets around to reading this.

Apple still does not ship 8.6 with OS X, only 8.5 (as of OS X 10.6) and,
for backwards compatibility, 8.4.  That's why the python.org Python
installers for OS X do not yet use 8.6.  ActiveState does provide an OS
X installer for Tcl/Tk 8.6 but it is not open source; assuming your use
is compatible with their (liberal) license, you can build your own
Python linking with it.  Also, some third-party package managers for OS
X supply a Python linked with their own Tcl/Tk 8.6, e.g. MacPorts.  We
haven't wanted to get into the business of building and shipping our own
Tcl/Tk for python.org OS X installers but, because of Apple's recent
poor support for Tcl/Tk, we more or less need to; it's on the list of
future enhancements.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org