beginners choice: wx or tk?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Jul 11 05:51:20 EDT 2015

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Ulli Horlacher
> <framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> > I want to start a project with python.
> > The program must have a (simple) GUI and must run on Linux and Windows.
> > The last one as standalone executable, created with pyinstaller.
>
> Not sure what your advantage is with pyinstaller, it adds a level of
> complication that doesn't usually justify itself IMO.

I am not addicted to pyinstaller. It just works.
Do you have a better alternative?

> Using wxPython means you need another library, while tkinter comes
> with Python.

pyinstaller can make a standalone executable, there is no need for the
users to install "another library". They just click on the program icon,
that's it.

> There are other choices, too - pygtk/pygobject (GTK) and pyqt (Qt)
> come to mind

Both create BIG executables, much bigger than with wx or tk.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Universitaet Stuttgart         Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
Allmandring 30a                Fax:    ++49-711-682357
70550 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/