beginners choice: wx or tk?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 05:35:39 EDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Ulli Horlacher
<framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> I want to start a project with python.
> The program must have a (simple) GUI and must run on Linux and Windows.
> The last one as standalone executable, created with pyinstaller.

Not sure what your advantage is with pyinstaller, it adds a level of
complication that doesn't usually justify itself IMO.

> I have already an implementation in perl/tk :
> http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/fop/ZAcXSugp/schwuppdiwupp.png
> http://fex.belwue.de/download/schwuppdiwupp.pl
>
> I am not really happy with tk, because it has some bugs, at least its perl
> integration. I have never used wx.
>
> What is the recommendation for a python beginner: wx or tk?

Using wxPython means you need another library, while tkinter comes
with Python. There are some limitations to tk, and I personally don't
like its style, but if you're wanting to package it up into an EXE,
every third-party library you add will increase the size of that EXE,
potentially quite significantly (wxPython will drag in everything that
it depends on, which IIRC is quite a bit).

There are other choices, too - pygtk/pygobject (GTK) and pyqt (Qt)
come to mind - is there a particular reason you're limiting the
question to just wx vs tk?

Personally, I quite like GTK, but I don't have much experience with
either of the Python bindings. Never used wxPython or PyQt.

ChrisA