module dependencies issues

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Jul 9 17:11:54 EDT 2015

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> In general, I would expect that B 1.1 is backward-compatible with B
> 1.0, unless otherwise stated. Why must it be declared in any way other
> than the version number?

To make it explicit. The generic component system shouldn't impose
(m)any assumptions on version numbering. Version numbers can contain
digits, punctuation, letters. Comparisons should be done the way "ls
-v" and "sort -V" do it.

Whoever creates B-1.1 ought to make it backward-compatible, but he
should also say so. The majority of developers are careless about
backward-compatibility; having the component system make wishful
assumptions will lead to catastrophic consequences.

Marko