(side-)effects and ...

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Mon Jul 6 08:28:57 EDT 2015

>  And this is the intention of my post: Maybe there is such
>  a term, and I just missed to learn it so far? So,
>  do you know a term for the phenomenon that can be found
>  in Python but not in mathematics and consists in the state
>  of the world influencing the value of an expressions?

In the world of control logic, this sort of thing is needed a
whole lot.  One common way to go after this behaviour (the
temperature of the room determines whether the heater or the air
conditioner goes on, for instance) is to use Fuzzy Control Logic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_control_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic

Python has a bunch of packages for doing this, but I haven't ever used
them, so cannot comment on how good any of them are.

Laura