understanding why there is no setup.py uninstall

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:25:54 EDT 2015

On 5 July 2015 at 11:04,  <c.buhtz at posteo.jp> wrote:
> This question is not technical.
> I know that there is no 'uninstall' Option in a setup.py.
> I know this discussions and workarounds for that problem, too.
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1550226/python-setup-py-uninstall>
>
> I want to understand the design concept behind it.
>
> Why isn't there no uninstall routine implemented?
>
> For me as a user and admin it feels quite dirty when installing
> something with the setup.py but then not being able to remove it clean
> like I would do it with packages of my system-package-manager (e.g. with
> apt-get on a debianized system).
> --

Don’t use setup.py, use pip. If you are working with a pypi package,
just use pip install foo. If you have a local package, you can point
pip to a tarball, or to an unpacked directory:

$ pip install foo-0.1.0.tar.gz
$ pip install /home/kwpolska/bar
$ cd baz; pip install .

pip has an uninstall option. (It should also work with packages
installed with plain setup.py.)

PGP: 5EAAEA16