Searching for a usable X509 implementation

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Fri Jul 3 20:24:37 EDT 2015

Hi Dennis,

On 07/03/2015 06:11 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to implement certificate functionality in a python app
> but after fighting with pyOpenSSL and M2Crypto I'm thinking about
> writing wrapper functions for the OpenSSL command line tool instead
> or switching the app to another language all together.

My X.509 needs have never been more than basic, but PyOpenSSL has always
had what I need.

> Apparently PyOpenSSL has no way to save a public key to a file which
> is baffling. M2Crypto has that ability but apparently no usable way
> to verify a certificate?

Is dump_certificate what you need?

See
https://pyopenssl.readthedocs.org/en/latest/api/crypto.html#OpenSSL.crypto.dump_certificate

or this example for detailed usage:
https://github.com/msabramo/pyOpenSSL/blob/master/examples/mk_simple_certs.py

> Is there really no usable module out there to enable straightforward
> certificate handling?

I'm not aware of anything better than PyOpenSSL.

Carl