Python 3 resuma a file download

zljubisic at gmail.com zljubisic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:18:01 EDT 2015

On Wednesday, 1 July 2015 01:43:19 UTC+2, Cameron Simpson  wrote:
> On 30Jun2015 08:34, zljubisic at gmail.com <zljubisic at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I would like to download a file (http://video.hrt.hr/2906/otv296.mp4)
> >If the connection is OK, I can download the file with:
> >
> >import urllib.request
> >urllib.request.urlretrieve(remote_file, local_file)
> >
> >Sometimes when I am connected on week wireless (not mine) network I get WinError 10054 exception (windows 7).
> >
> >When it happens, I would like to resume download instead of doing everything from very beginning.
> >
> >How to do that?
> >
> >I read about Range header and chunks, but this server doesn't have any headers.
> >
> >What options do I have with this particular file?
>
> You need to use a Range: header. I don't know what you mean when you say "this
> server doesn't have any headers". All HTTP requests and responses use headers.
> Possibly you mean you code isn't setting any headers.
>
> What you need to do is separate your call to urlretrieve into a call to
> construct a Request object, add a Range header, then fetch the URL using the
> Request object, appending the results (if successful) to the end of your local
> file.
>
> If you go to:
>
>   https://docs.python.org/3/library/urllib.request.html#urllib.request.urlretrieve
>
> and scroll up you will find example code doing that kind of thing in the
> examples above.
>
> Cheers,
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>
>
> The British Interplanetary Society? How many planets are members then?
>         - G. Robb

Hi,

if I understood you correctly (I am not sure about which example you are refering), I should do the following:
1. check already downloaded file size in bytes = downloaded
2. url = 'http://video.hrt.hr/2906/otv296.mp4'
3. req = urllib.request.Request(url)
4. req.add_header('Range', downloaded)
5. urllib.request.urlretrieve(url, 'otv296.mp4')

Is that what you were saying?

Regards.