Parsing logfile with multi-line loglines, separated by timestamp?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 00:06:43 EDT 2015

Aha, cool, that's a good idea =) - it seems I should spend some time getting to know generators/iterators.

Also, sorry if this is basic, but once I have the "block" list itself, what is the best way to parse each relevant line?

In this case, the first line is a timestamp, the next two lines are system stats, and then a newline, and then one line for each block device.

I could just hardcode in the lines, but that seems ugly:

  for block in parse_iostat(f):
      for i, line in enumerate(block):
          if i == 0:
              print("timestamp is {}".format(line))
          elif i == 1 or i == 2:
              print("system stats: {}".format(line))
          elif i >= 4:
              print("disk stats: {}".format(line))

Is there a prettier or more Pythonic way of doing this?

Thanks,
Victor