help() function screen output

Jacob Kruger jacob at blindza.co.za
Sat Jan 31 04:49:30 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven D'Aprano" <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2015 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: help() function screen output

> Jacob Kruger wrote:
>
>> Using python 3.4 32 bit on windows 7 64 bit machine, and when, for
>> example, type in something like the following in interpreter window:
>> help(str)
>>
>> It will populate the screen with one full screen of information, with a
>> prompt of --more-- to hit enter, or something to continue displaying
>> information, but, when, for example, hit enter key, it merely populates
>> one more line of info, each time - under pythn 2.7, it seemed to render
>> one full screen of info each time.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> I don't have Windows to try, but in Linux using both Python 2.7 and 3.3,
> pressing Enter advances by a single line.
>
>> Is there rather a different keystroke should use to invoke that, or is
>> this a python 3.4 feature/issue?
>
> Try using the Space key to advance an entire page.
>
> You can also try Page Up and Page Down keys.
Ok, strangely, while am relatively sure 2.7 rendered a screen at a time
before when hitting enter key, it now also seems to advance one line at a
time, but, yes, seems like space bar does advance a whole screen in both
versions, and page up/down doesn't react, but, space bar will do for
now...<smile>

And, I generally let it render a screen full, and then review the screen
contents using screen-reader screen review functionality, but, in this case
it pretty much matches what people see.

Thanks

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker