multiprocessing module backport from 3 to 2.7 - spawn feature

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 21:01:17 EST 2015

On 30/01/15 23:25, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>:
>
>> Only a handful of POSIX functions are required to be "fork safe", i.e.
>> callable on each side of a fork without an exec.
>
> That is a pretty surprising statement. Forking without an exec is a
> routine way to do multiprocessing.
>
> I understand there are things to consider, but all system calls are
> available and safe.

POSIX says this:

- No asynchronous input or asynchronous output operations shall be
inherited by the child process.

- A process shall be created with a single thread. If a multi-threaded
process calls fork(), the new process shall contain a replica of the
calling thread and its entire address space, possibly including the
states of mutexes and other resources. Consequently, to avoid errors,
the child process may only execute async-signal-safe operations until
such time as one of the exec functions is called.

- Fork handlers may be established by means of the pthread_atfork()
function in order to maintain application invariants across fork() calls.

- When the application calls fork() from a signal handler and any of the
fork handlers registered by pthread_atfork() calls a function that is
not asynch-signal-safe, the behavior is undefined.

Hence you must be very careful which functions you use after calling
forking before you have called exec. Generally never use an API above
POSIX, e.g. BLAS or Apple's CoreFoundation.

Apple said this when the problem with multiprocessing and Accelerate
Framework first was discovered: