[OT] fortran lib which provide python like data type

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jan 30 18:50:45 EST 2015

Michael Torrie wrote:

> If that happened, then it's because you the programmer wanted it to
> happen.  It's not just going to happen all by itself.  Yes anytime
> pointers are allowed, things are potentially unsafe in the hands of a
> programmer.  I'm just saying it's not nearly so bad as you make it out
> to be.  Follow basic rules and 99% of segfaults will never happen and
> the majority of leaks will not happen either.

Oh great. So if the average application creates a hundred thousand pointers
of the course of a session, you'll only have a thousand or so seg faults
and leaks.

Well, that certainly explains this:

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1332213

Manual low-level pointer manipulation is an anti-pattern. What you glibly
describe as programmers following "basic rules" has proven to be beyond the
ability of the programming community as a whole.

--
Steven