Python is DOOMED! Again!

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:12:31 EST 2015

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 10:11:56 AM UTC-6, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> But what are type declarations in statically typed
> languages like C, Pascal, Haskell, etc.? They are used by
> the compiler for static analysis. The same applies to type
> declarations in dynamically typed languages like Cobra and
> Julia. And yet, there they are, in the executable code.
>
> So there are a whole lot of languages, going all the way
> back to 1950s languages like Fortran, to some of the
> newest languages which are only a few years old like Go,
> both dynamically typed and statically typed, which do
> exactly what you say languages "cannot and should not" do:
> they put type information used for static analysis there
> in the code.
>
> As I said, these languages disagree with you. You are not
> just arguing against Guido, but against the majority of
> programming language designers for 60+ years.

Are we really going to base our design decisions on the same
emotional "need to belong" that a 14 year girl bases clothing
purchases on? Following your logic, it's high time we adopt
braces, since they have been just as long!

 WELCOME TO COMPUTER LANGUAGE JEOPARDY!
|--------------------------|---------------|-doot------------|----|
|--------------------------|---------------|-----do----------|----|
|--------------------------|---------------|-------do--------|----|
|--dah-----------dah-------|----dah----dah-|---------do------|----|
|--------------------------|---------------|-----------do----|----|
|do---doo-----do-----dooooo|-do----do------|-------------do--|----|
|---------doo--------------|---------------|-----------------|doot|
                           @2nd skip------->             D.C.

"And here is your host: Alex Trebek!

TREBEK: I swear i was not drunk when i sideswiped an array of mailboxes and ended up kissing a telephone pole in a ditch 45 feet away... so shut up about it already!

[snip: totally scripted introductions]

TREBEK: Okay let's begin!

PLAYER1: Alex, i'll take "Language Devolution" for 500 please.

TREBEK: Okay, and the answer is: "Python Type Hints"

(CHIME) PLAYER1: What does a book-licking contest look like?

*WAAAANK*

TREBEK: Sorry, while your answer certainly is a product of such a proposal, we're looking for something more specific to the category of: "Language Devolution".

(CHIME) PLAYER2: Python Insanity Proposal?

*WAAAANK*

TREBEK: Again, technically correct, but your answer must be in the form of a question!

(CHIME) PLAYER3: What happens after an emperor forsakes his clothing?

*DING-DING-DING*

TREBEK: Congrats, you're this weeks winner! Please stay tuned for a special episode of "Keeping Up With The Kewl Kids". Good night folks!

[This episode was sponsored by Alex's AA group]