An object is an instance (or not)?

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 00:43:52 EST 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 9:37 PM,  <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 16:06, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
>> That error message has me start that thread arguing that the error is
>> misleading because the Sub object does have the __bases__ attribute.
>> It's the Sub instance object that does not have it.
>
> What do you think "Sub object" means?
>
> Sub itself is not a Sub object, it is a type object. "instance" is
> implicit in the phrase "foo object".

Yes. Unfortunately, it's still not really completely clear. "Sub
instance" would avoid this confusion for everyone.

I think the only reason to avoid "instance" in the past would have
been the old-style object confusion, as Ben Finney pointed out. (BTW I
agree with literally every single thing he said in this thread, it's
really amazing.)

-- Devin