An object is an instance (or not)?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Wed Jan 28 00:25:20 EST 2015

Mario Figueiredo <marfig at gmail.com>:

> That is valuable input. You don't care how a type or an instance of a
> type differ. Should be intersting to ask you to make a Cat object. I
> wonder if you are not going to ask if they mean a class or an instance
> of that class.
>
> Anyways, more to the point, this is simply a debate on language and how
> to express Python concepts. If that bothers you, I'll take note.

Python itself has answers to your questions:

   >>> isinstance(3, int)
   True
   >>> isinstance("3", int)
   False
   >>> isinstance(int, type)
   True
   >>> isinstance(type, int)
   False
   >>> isinstance(type, type)
   True
   >>> isinstance(3, type)
   False
   >>> isinstance(int, 3)
   Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   TypeError: isinstance() arg 2 must be a type or tuple of types
   >>> isinstance(3, object)
   True
   >>> isinstance("3", object)
   True