An object is an instance (or not)?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:52:50 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 7:55:12 AM UTC+5:30, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On 1/27/15 7:17 PM, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
> > Ned Batchelder says...
> >>
> >> A common mistake is to believe that "OOP" is a well-defined term.  It's
> >> not it's a collection of ideas that are expressed slightly differently
> >> in each language.
> >
> > A common mistake is thinking just because OOP has different
> > implementations, it doesn't have a cohesive set of well described rules
> > and its own well defined terminology.
>
> I know you think that it has well described rules and terminology.  But
> take a look at this discussion, and maybe realize that the terms are not
> as well-defined, or certainly not as widely accepted as you think.

I'd go a step or two further than that.

Here's a discussion almost isomorphic [including Ned's futile attempts at
inducing sanity] to this one from a few years ago
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/y6mnzDeEsRU/Wvpo4mJ-a2gJ
[And others by that same OP - Mark Janssen - zipher]¹

And there's the recent one (2 because of thread breaking) on
<<Comparisons and sorting of a numeric class>>

To me all these suggest that OOP as a philosophy pickles the brain.
And violently passionate adherence to the philosophy conduces to madness.

[Reminded of a quote I saw on the scheme mailing list:
OOP is the phlogiston theory of CS
]