An object is an instance (or not)?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:11:08 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 1:42:47 AM UTC+5:30, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
> This is a follow up from a previous discussion in which it is argued
> that the following code produces the correct error message terminology,
> considering that in Python an object is also an instance.
>
>     >>> class Sub:
>     >>>     pass
>
>     >>> foo = Sub()
>     >>> foo.__bases__
>     [...]
>     AttributeError: 'Sub' object has no attribute '__bases__'
>
> I'm making this into a new thread, because the particular discussion of
> whether an object is an instance in Python seems more interesting than
> discussing whether that error message should be changed or not.
>
> Here's another example where the terminology keeps indicating that in
> Python an object is an instance:
>
>     >>> class Sub:
> 	    pass
>
>     >>> x = Sub()
>     >>> x
>     <__main__.Sub object at 0x02631690>
>
> The problem is that I personally cannot agree with this terminology and
> I would like to hear arguments that could convince me to adopt the
> Python way. But before your replies, here's my argumentation:
>
> An instance IS an object. On that we can agree. After all, everything in
> Python is an object. Even classes are. We can even pass them as function
> arguments:
>
>     >>> class Sub:
> 	    pass
>
>     >>> def show(aClass):
> 	    print(type(aClass))
>
>     >>> show(Sub)
>     <class 'type'>
>
> The problem is that an object isn't always an instance. The word
> instance in OOP has a very formal meaning. In programming languages in
> which the classes aren't fully realized objects, it is ok to speak of
> 'instance' and 'object' interchangeably. But even then, sometimes the
> term 'object instance' is preferred, as a way to separate these
> 'instances' from other variable instances that may not be created from
> class definitions (e.g. C++ built-in types).
>
> The fact that in Python classes are objects, should not just eliminate
> this distinction. The OOP terminology should exist beyond the language
> implementing it. It facilitates discourse and helps transmiting concepts
> when describing your ideas to another programmer. And because in python,
> classes are of the type 'type' and they exist as fully realized objects,
> is no excuse to make a distinction between them and their own fully
> realized instances. The language implementation details should not exist
> as a way for us to freely reformulate long standing terms.
>
> Because, from my own study of Python, I've came to realize that the
> distinction between objects and instances of objects actually exists. In
> Python, class objects cannot participate in OOP, only their instances.
> This is why I say that even in Python, where a class is an object, an
> object is not always an instance. The language itself forces that
> [...]

The issue (as I see it) is primarily with English - in particular the word
'is', technically called copula:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copula_%28linguistics%29

Is is(!) used in 3 ways that can get mutually incompatible:
Predication: The sky is blue
Identity: Two plus three is five [Notice how you've used '=' above]
Belonging: (OOP isa relation): Cat is a mammal

Some people have found this (mis|over)use of 'is' so problematic that they have
suggested to doctor English to not use is as far as possible:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime