Delegation in Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:28:34 EST 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Brian Gladman <noone at nowhere.net> wrote:
> Is there a way of doing delegation rather than sub-classing?
>
> That is, can I create a class (say RF) that passes some of its methods
> to Fraction for implementation but always returns an RF?

Hmm. The key here is that you want more than just delegation; you want
to transform every return value. That's not going to be easy. It would
be easiest and cleanest to skip the whole thing, and have a separate
function for what you're doing here - not a method, a stand-alone
function.

def is_integer(fr):
    return fr.numerator % fr.denominator == 0

Next best would be the monkey-patching option. Delegation with
transformation is a lot of effort for what you want.

ChrisA