__bases__ misleading error message

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 16:45:32 EST 2015

No, it doesnt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

> How does Python maps names to memory
> addresses in the interpreter?

Global variables are looked up in the current stack frame's globals dict.

>>> a = 1
>>> b = 2
>>> globals()['a']
1
>>> globals()['b']
2

Local variables of functions could be handled the same way, but for
efficiency the compiler instead maps the names to indices of a local
variable array associated with the stack frame. Either way, at the C
level the value stored in the dict or array is a pointer to the memory
location of the object.

>     "__main__"
>     from module import a_name
>     y = a_name + 1
>
> How does python interpreter know how to map 'name' to the correct memory
> location, if this __main__ code is only ran after 'module' code?

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're asking, but the import
statement imports the module, looks up "a_name" in that module's
globals dict, and binds the same object to a_name in the current
module's globals dict.