What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 24 06:34:20 EST 2015

On Saturday 24 January 2015 03:09:51 Bob Martin did opine
And Gene did reply:
> in 734904 20150123 225104 Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:
> >On 01/21/2015 05:55 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> >>
> >> Not sure about that. Back in the 1990s, I wrote most of my code in
> >> REXX, either command-line or using a GUI toolkit like VX-REXX.
> >> Where's REXX today? Well, let's see. It's still the native-ish
> >> language of OS/2. Where's OS/2 today? Left behind. REXX has no
> >> Unicode support (it does, however, support DBCS - useful, no?), no
> >> inbuilt networking support (there are third-party TCP/IP socket
> >> libraries for OS/2 REXX, but I don't know that other REXX
> >> implementations have socket services; and that's just basic BSD
> >> sockets, no higher-level protocol handling at all), etc, etc. Sure,
> >> it's not technically dead... but is anyone developing the language
> >> further? I don't think so. Is new REXX code being written? Not a
> >> lot. Yet when OS/2 was more popular, REXX definitely had its
> >> installed base. It was the one obvious scripting language for any
> >> OS/2 program. Languages can definitely die, or at least be so left
> >> behind that they may as well be dead.
> >>
> >> ChrisA
> >
> >Rexx is still well used on mainframes.
>
> http://www.oorexx.org/
>
> I use ooRexx every day, on Linux mostly, but also available on Windows.

Can it run typical AREXX source?  I don't see a single syllable on that
now 5 year old site indicating any such capability.

Example: Something needs to be synchronized to occur in the first tick of
the next minute, and has nothing to do until then, so it queries the
system for the number of ticks remaining in this minute, then puts itself
to sleep for that long.

Is this possible in ooRexx?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)