Random ALL CAPS posts on this group

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jan 23 15:13:25 EST 2015

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > Freedom of expression entails an obligation on the state to not
> > quash anyone's expression. It does not affect anyone who is not the
> > state; it imposes no obligation on the PSF.
>
> By this reasoning, you would be perfectly comfortable with a state of
> affairs where a media monopoly […]

What in the above makes you think I'd be at all comfortable with a media
monopoly?

Not so. Rather, my objection to monopolisation of media is rooted in
concerns other than freedom of expression.

Or, in the terms I used above: It is not freedom of expression which
imposes the obligation to avoid monopolisation of media.

--
 \     “Oh, I realize it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at |
  `\      me: I've worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme |