Comparisons and sorting of a numeric class....

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 10:31:29 EST 2015

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 5:18:32 PM UTC+5:30, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> On 01/15/2015 09:05 AM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:23 AM, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> >> Can you name any other language that *does* allow subclassing of
> >> booleans or creation of new boolean values?
> >>
> >> Yes. Several off the top of my head -- and I have mentioned these before.
> >> They generally come with the extra subclasses pre-created and the user
> >> doesn't get to create the classes, but only use them; none the less -- they
> >> have more than two values with which to do logic equations with.
> >>
> >> VHDL, Verilog, HDL, Silos III, and there are IEEE variants also.
> >> C/C++ historically allowed you to do it with instances included, although I
> >> am not sure it still does.
> > Sorry, let me rehprase my question. Of course there will be
> > special-purpose languages that allow you to do interesting things with
> > the logic values and operators. Can you name any other
> > *general-purpose* language that allows subclassing of booleans or
> > creation of new boolean values? If not, it seems rather unfair to
> > single out Python and marvel that this isn't allowed when it's
> > actually quite normal to disallow it. Unless you care to provide an
> > example, I am fairly sure your claim of C/C++ is wrong. The bool type
> > in C++ is a primitive type, none of which can be inherited from. C
> > doesn't even have a bool type; at most you have macros for true and
> > false to 1 and 0, so the "booleans" there are just ordinary integers.
> Ian,
> I agree with you mostly; there is good reason to pick on other
> languages, too, with respect to what a bool is.
>
> Although, I have to laugh -- Verilog can syntheze a CPU -- implement
> memory -- and then load a program and run python on the virtual
> machine.   When the pentium was first developed, I watched as Intel
> actually booted up MS-DOS under using Xilinx chips to run the verilog
> program's output they could physically run anything a pentium processor
> could run.  That's *IS* what I consider "general purpose".
>
> But you're sort of confounding my need for type information in my new
> class as a way to advertise compatability with bool, with subclassing --
> which is only one way that I was exploring to get the 'type' name
> attached to the new object;  That's a mistake that D'Aprano seems to be
> repetitively making as well.
> But please note: Type checking for 'bool' is only needed for
> legacy/compatability reasons -- but new code can use any type; so
> subtyping is not strictly necessary if there is another way to get the
> 'bool' type attached to my return object for advertising purposes; for
> what I am interested in is an object who presents as bool for legacy
> code, but new code can convert it to anything at all..
>
> C++ *DOES* allow the necessary kind of type checking and subclassing for
> what I need to do in spite of not having a subclass mechanism built into
> the language for base types; eg: C++ allows a semantic subclass to be
> [...]

Can you tell me what of the following code does not satisfy your requirements?
[Needs python 3.4]

>>> from enum import IntEnum
>>> class B4(IntEnum):
	F1 = 0
	F2 = 0
	F3 = 0
	T  = 1

In words:
Thats a type of 4-valued boolean
Of which F1/2/3 behave falsey in standard python bool-expecting contexts
T behaves truey (or truish)
[Check with bool(B4.F1) for example]

If you get fed up with typing B4.blah make global variables (actually constants)
F2 = B4.F2

If you need to distinguish the falsey ones, its a bit of a headache
dict(B4.__members__)
should contain all the info you need to make these distinctions