What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 00:35:17 EST 2015

On 22/01/2015 11:45 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> It's not a terrible justification for getting into programming. But
> writing games is (almost always) a terrible way to start programming.

However, modifying games, I would argue, is a great way. The
ComputerCraft mod for Minecraft, for example, added Lua-based control of
in-game entities. It allows new developers to focus on internal game
logic without being overwhelmed by the set up required to make it work.

An extreme example is DoubleFine's Hack'n'Slash, wihch exposes its
underlying logic in-game (also in Lua) and provides the user with tools
to modify them: http://www.hacknslashthegame.com/

Initially the player starts off by modifying globals (to, say, add or
remove entities from a room, or change their movement direction), and
ends with them having full access to the game (but not engine) code.