Python is DOOMED! Again!

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:25:19 EST 2015

In article <6eb91c4b-92ff-44a8-b5a9-6ef04c71f4cb at googlegroups.com>,
rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com says...

> So if the purpose is "static analysis", what is the
> justification for injecting new syntax into function sigs?

1. Annotations where created exactly for this purpose. So there's some
preassure to put them to work on what they were always meant to be used
for.

2. Docstrings are meant as source of code documentation and to fill the
object's __doc__ attribute, as per PEP 257. As such they aren't good
consistent candidates for type hinting for purposes of static analysis
tools.

3. Decorators are meant as function transformation tools, as per PEP 318
and, as such, are them too not suitable to include type annotations for
the purpose of static analysis.

4. There is no other formal annotation mechanism, other than these
potential three.

Arguably, you can make a case against 1. And that's my own issue with
type hinting as it is being proposed on PEP 484. The real problem is
annotations as they were defined are a really bad idea. To couple type
annotations so tightly with code, just results in plain ugly and hard to
read code.

Personally I would love to see the present annotations just go away and
a new docstring-like structure to emerge in their place. But that's
probably not going to happen.

What I agree can't be done though, is to use docstrings or decorators as
a source for type annotations.