Python is DOOMED! Again!

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Thu Jan 22 15:46:58 EST 2015

On 2015-01-22 20:23, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 4:32:04 AM UTC-6, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
>> Rick,
>>
>> > Python is the only thing that is pure in the programming
>> > world. The only language that offers the cleanest and
>> > most intuit-able syntax, AND YOU"RE JUST GOING TO THROW
>> > IT ALL AWAY [...] ?
>>
>> Nonsense. You are just used to it. I can read C with the
>> same feeling of intuitiveness as you do Python. There's
>> nothing inherently more intuitive about python and I just
>> wished that meme died already. Besides it's all in the eye
>> of the beholder.
>
> And is *YOUR* eye the only eye in this universe? A concert
> pianist could say the same about a piece of music that only
> a handful of people in the world could play!
>
>      YOU'RE IGNORING WHAT PYTHON WAS, AND IS MEANT TO BE!
>
> Python was not created to be some esoteric language that
> sadistic professors could drop on students heads like a
> grand piano from a third story window, *NO*, python was
> meant to be a gateway to intuitive programming bliss.
>
> Python was meant to be the "lingua franca" of the
> Programming world. The idea was to cut out the noisy syn
> taxes that plagued other language and thereby allow the
> programmer to focus on solving problems and writing
> algorithms.

If you want to know why Python was created, ask its creator:

"""My original motivation for creating Python was the perceived need
for a higher level language in the Amoeba project. I realized that the
development of system administration utilities in C was taking too
long. ... So there was a need for a language that would "bridge the gap
between C and the shell." For a long time, this was Python’s main
catchphrase."""

http://python-history.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/personal-history-part-1-cwi.html