Python is DOOMED! Again!

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 13:28:18 EST 2015

On 22/01/2015 18:14, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com
> <mailto:sturla.molden at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Python will no longer be dynamic, it will just be a slow static
>     language.
>
>     Yes, Python could still be used as a dynamic language, but nobody will
>     allow you to do it. Even packages in widespread use will be banned
>     because
>     they don't typehint. And then there will be complaint about lack of such
>     packages.
>
> FUD? What evidence do you have that this will be the way things shake out?

Evidence in completely the opposite direction if I'm reading this
correctly https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0484/#usage-patterns

"The main use case of type hinting is static analysis using an external
tool without executing the analyzed program. Existing tools used for
that purpose like pyflakes [pyflakes] or pylint [pylint] might be
extended to support type checking. New tools, like mypy's mypy -S mode,
can be adopted specifically for this purpose.

Type checking based on type hints is understood as a best-effort
mechanism. In other words, whenever types are not annotated and cannot
be inferred, the type checker considers such code valid. Type errors are
only reported in case of explicit or inferred conflict. Moreover, as a
mechanism that is not tied to execution of the code, it does not affect
runtime behaviour. In other words, even in the case of a typing error,
the program will continue running.

The implementation of a type checker, whether linting source files or
enforcing type information during runtime, is out of scope for this PEP."

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence