What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jan 22 07:26:31 EST 2015

On Wednesday 21 January 2015 23:46:09 Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:55:27AM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > Where's REXX today?
>
> Still (somehow) alive in neo-Amiga platforms like AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS
> and AROS. I know that's as good as dead but there are still people
> writing AREXX glue code.

He asked about REXX, not AREXX. There is no comparison between the two as
AREXX was a huge superset of REXX.

I have co-written some rather widely distributed amiga code in AREXX, then
compiled it to standalone with RexxPlus.

When I switched platforms to linux in 1998, the first thing I did was to
go find an AREXX for linux.  But had to settle for IBM's REXX/Regina,
which wasn't capable of running any of our AREXX code.  AREXX hooked into
the OS and there wasn't anything I ever wanted to do that could not be
done in AREXX.

REXX/Regina is an extremely emasculated language that has zero connection
into the os, and I found it completely useless when compared to AREXX.

If, when anyone here was using an amiga, and was using EzCron to schedule
stuff, Jim Hines and I wrote it as there was no such scheduler for
amigados.  Everything else we laid our hands on killed time by
busywaiting, killing the machines performance. EzCron put itself to sleep
intelligently by asking what time it was, and then sleeping until the
first second of the next minute. That we published at the time, and then
built on that for EzHome, which was a dumber version of what we call heyu
today.

Trivia bit: William Hawes, who wrote AREXX and sold it thru the commode
door sales channels, was never paid a dime for his work. But those 2 guys
screwed everybody. He had an account on kernel.org in 1998, might still
have, but it was empty then and the last time I looked, probably 5 years
ago.

So I have no clue what a very talented programmer is doing for a living
today. To me, that sad as hell.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)