Python is DOOMED! Again!

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 03:24:46 EST 2015

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 12:48:46 AM UTC-6, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Sir Richard Johnson writes:
> You could write some IDE features to suppress visibility
> of the hints. Or maybe it could be done with a decorator-
> like construct:
>
>   @-spec(Iterable[Real], Real) -> Real

Yes, YES, *YES*!!!! That would be my first choice, or
docstrings as a secondary. But to introduce new syntax
into the method signatures is SUICIDE! What the hell is
this man thinking?

> > For the sake of this community and the many noobs who
> > have not found programming bliss via Python, i implore
> > you to do everything in your power to convince GvR that
> > he is making a grave mistake, for which no recovery will
> > be possible.
>
> I've always found Python 3 annoying because it broke
> compatibility with Python 2, but only by a little bit, not
> enough to add real benefits. This is a real benefit so
> IMHO it makes the language more attractive rather than
> less.

Agreed. I'm not against the idea, heck, i want to see Python
improve just like anybody who loves this language, but the
implementation just plain sucks! Please convince GvR to move
this noisy syntax OUTSIDE of the signature! It's too noisy
and its going to turn people off.