Python is DOOMED! Again!

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 02:40:28 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would have preferred Python to mimic:
>>
>> Define function add taking price1, the price2, print_error equals true.
>> Price1 is a float. Price2 is a float. The function returns a float.
>>
>> But now this is sounding a little like something from Larry Wall, and so I
>> had better stop!
>
> Actually, it sounds like pre-ANSI C. Something like this:
>
> float add(price1, price2)
> float price1;
> float price2;
> {
>     ... body of function ...
> }
>
> Compare the more modern C style:

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, you are quite right right.  I think
my point stands. I've ever programmed anything serious in any kind of
C, but the pre-ANSI C style is instantly readable to me (except maybe
that I had to look three times to find the return signature because my
eye glossed over the float at the start.

Far more intuitive than what is being proposed^W^W is part of Python 3. :-)