What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:11:31 EST 2015

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 10:34:40 AM UTC-6, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> In 2009, Robert Martin gave a talk at RailsConf titled
> "What Killed Smalltalk Could Kill Ruby". (No cheering,
> that sort of attitude is one of the things that killed
> Smalltalk.) Although Martin discusses Ruby, the lessons
> could also apply to Python.

Python is already headed towards obscurity. The fall began
with the release of Python3000 (from which we "might" have
recovered), but now it seems that GvR intends to drive the
final nail in python's coffin with this "type hinting" crap
that will convert Python syntax from a readable pseudo code
into a cryptic nightmare.

Type hinting violates the very *ESSENCE* of what Python was
meant to be, that is: a "clean and intuitive syntax". The
cleanness of Python is what attracts people to it, and the
hook is set when they discover the breadth of the stdlib.

If GvR brings this gawd awful type hinting idea to reality,
IT'S OVER! Python will be lost forever to history as just
another "interesting oddity". Time to call up the Robert
Ripley estate and request some space in his museum!