What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:16:01 EST 2015

In article <873873ae91.fsf at jester.gateway.sonic.net>,
no.email at nospam.invalid says...

> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
> > In 2009, Robert Martin gave a talk at RailsConf titled "What Killed
> > Smalltalk Could Kill Ruby"...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX3iRjKj7C0
>
> That's an hour-long video; could someone who's watched it give a brief
> summary?

In a nutshell, he argues, along with Ward Cunningham, that what killed
Smalltalk was how easy you could create unclean code with it. "Unclean"
in this context means Smalltalk didn't punish bad software design
decisions that would eventually lead into complex code and unmanageable
systems with zero options of code maintenance.

I don't have an opinion. I didn't know Smalltalk. I started my
programming carrer around the early nineties as a Dbase and later
Clipper programmer.