What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:09:51 EST 2015

In article <mailman.17933.1421884677.18130.python-list at python.org>,
rosuav at gmail.com says...

> Bad idea. Better to pick a language that makes it easy to get things
> right, and then work on the fun side with third-party libraries, than
> to tempt people in with "hey look how easy it is to do X" and then
> have them stuck with an inferior or flawed language. Too many people
> already don't know the difference between UTF-16 and Unicode. Please,
> educators, don't make it worse.
>
> ChrisA

Indeed. If games and funnies is what drive beginners into programming,
that's fine. But the educational principles of programming shouldn't be
trashed in the process. We need serious developers in today's complex
application systems. Not uneducated programmers with nary a knowledge of
Software Engineering. Besides if games and funnies are the only thing
that can drive someone into programming, I'd rather not see that person
become a developer.

"I want to become a programmer so I can make games" is, on the vast
majority of cases, the quote of someone who will never become a
programmer. Why should teachers reward that kind of thought?