How to "wow" someone new to Python

Steve Hayes hayesstw at telkomsa.net
Wed Jan 21 12:59:42 EST 2015

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 02:03:57 +1100, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

>Scenario: You're introducing someone to Python for the first time.
>S/he may have some previous programming experience, or may be new to
>the whole idea of giving a computer instructions. You have a couple of
>minutes to show off how awesome Python is. What do you do?
>
>I was thinking along the lines of a simple demo in the REPL, showing
>off some of Python's coolest features. But then I got stuck on the
>specifics. What are Python's best coolnesses? What makes for a good
>demo?
>
>Ideally, this should be something that can be demo'd quickly and
>easily, and it should be impressive without going into great details
>of "and see, this is how it works on the inside". So, how would you
>brag about this language?

I can only say what made me sit up and take notice.

1. I found it already on my computer.
2. It seemed to be used to run the Gramps genealogy program, which is quite
complex. I was impressed.
3. When I started to look at it, I found that strings could be any length and
were not limited to swomething arbitrary, like 256 characters.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm