Trees

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Jan 21 09:26:00 EST 2015

On 2015-01-22 00:01, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Tim Chase
>>> Looks like {1,2,3} works for me.
>>
>> That hasn't always worked:
>
> the argument's still fairly weak when it's alongside a pipe-dream
> desire to use specific mathematical Unicode characters in source
> code, because that's clearly a 3.x-only feature (where source code
> is Unicode text rather than ASCII).

I'm 100% in agreement that Unicode characters are a pipe-dream.  If I
wanted that, I'd use APL ;-)

> Nobody's going to moan "It's silly that we have to use 1 and 0
> instead of nice keywords True and False" on the basis that True and
> False didn't exist in Python 2.0. At very least, use 2.7 before you
> complain; preferably, use 3.4 (or 3.5).

While 2.0 is certainly antiquated, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) is
often considered the best definition of what's considered "oldest
supported production environment".  RHEL v4 ships with Py2.3 and one
can still obtain extended support for this environment.  RHEL v5 is
actively supported (i.e., without the need for an extended-support
contract) and ships with Py2.4 so I generally try to at least support
2.4 when I'm writing code that could possibly end deploy on a server
such as RHEL5.   Some of us are stuck supporting code in such
antediluvian environments. :-/  Then again, if you're like me and
working in such environments, you already know to use set() instead
of {...} and to avoid the "with" statement, and the like. :)

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Version_history

http://turbogears.org/1.0/docs/Install/Nix.html#centos-rhel RHEL=2.3

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/python#Old_versions RHEL5=2.4