Trees

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jan 20 21:19:07 EST 2015

On 1/20/2015 4:47 PM, Mario wrote:
> In article <d34dbfbe-fe82-47dc-8bc3-c8773e2b70dd at googlegroups.com>,
> rustompmody at gmail.com says...
>>
>> Yeah python has trees alright.
>>
>> Heres' some simple tree-code
>
> Didn't you just demonstrate that Python has no trees and instead you
> have to implement them yourself (or use a third-party implementation)?
>
> I don't know what's the point of all this vain and misleading play with
> words.

It is not play with words. A tree is a recursive - nested - hierachical
data structure with the restriction of no cycles or alternate pathways.
  Python collections whose members are general objects, including
collections, can be nested.  The resulting structures *are* tree
structures, if not more general directed graphs.  They are quite
commonly used in Python.

The common question -- "How do I flatten a list" -- is asking "How to I
turn a list from a tree (or DAG, but not a cyclic graph*) into a
sequence of leaf objects".  The question illustrates what is missing -
builtin functions or methods for nested collections.  I already
suggested that there *might* be a useful addition in this direction.

* A Python interpreter needs to take special measures to even display an
infinitely recursive list without raising or even segfaulting.  Most
posted 'flatten' functions do not account for this possibility.

 >>> l = [1]
 >>> l.append(l)
 >>> l
[1, [...]]

 > Not only most languages don't implement trees in their standard
> libraries

Typically, built-in collection type C has members of type M that does
not include type C.  Therefore a C instance cannot (directly) contain a
C instance.  The result is that people write a 'design pattern' to
overcome the limitation and enable a C to indirectly include a C.  Since
this limitations does not exist in Python's generalized collections of
objects, the pattern is unneeded in Python.

--
Terry Jan Reedy