Concerning Dictionaries and += in Python 2.x

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Mon Jan 19 19:27:53 EST 2015

On 2015-01-20 00:12, Luke Tomaneng wrote:
> I have been having a bit of trouble with the things mentioned in the title. I have written the following script for a Codecademy course:
> stock = {
>      "banana": 6,
>      "apple": 0,
>      "orange": 32,
>      "pear": 15
> }
>
> prices = {
>      "banana": 4,
>      "apple": 2,
>      "orange": 1.5,
>      "pear": 3
> }
>
> def compute_bill(food):
>      total = 0
>      for item in food:
>          if stock[item] > 0:
>              total += prices[item]
>              stock[item] = stock[item] - 1
>              return total
> Whenever I run this script, "4" is returned. It does not seem to matter what in in the list the script is run on. I have tried this on the Codecademy interpreter/emulator (I'm not sure which they use) and the repl.it interpreter, but for the same result. If anyone could find the glitch in my code, please let me know. Thanks!

Work through it a step at a time.

You haven't said what 'food' is when 'compute_bill is called, but I'm
guessing that the first item it checks is "banana".

stock["banana"] == 6, so it adds prices["banana"] to total, subtracts 1
from stock["banana"], and then returns the total, 4, because that's
what you've told it to do.