Hello World

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Jan 18 15:50:26 EST 2015

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> I believe passwords themselves are the wrong solution. I believe in a
>> physical, government-issue object capable of challenge-response. It
>> can then be beefed up with extra measures depending on the need.
>
> I can't tell whether you're serious or not. Do you actually trust
> "government-issue" more than anything else, or is your tongue firmly
> in your cheek?

I'm serious.

> Also, which government?

For example, the State of Finland (the place where I happen to reside).
Then, you would know you would be dealing with someone who is holding a
physical ID guaranteed by the Finnish government. After all, that's how
passports work; passports are trusted everywhere in the world.

That would be better than anything we have right now. As far as I know,
a system like that is in use in Estonia. In principle, an analogous
system is also there in Finland, but it is barely used yet (chicken and
egg). The practical online authentication in Finland is provided by
private banks. The private solution is effective but it costs businesses
money to use making it unavailable for individuals and nonprofits.

Marko