How to "wow" someone new to Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:03:57 EST 2015

Scenario: You're introducing someone to Python for the first time.
S/he may have some previous programming experience, or may be new to
the whole idea of giving a computer instructions. You have a couple of
minutes to show off how awesome Python is. What do you do?

I was thinking along the lines of a simple demo in the REPL, showing
off some of Python's coolest features. But then I got stuck on the
specifics. What are Python's best coolnesses? What makes for a good
demo?

Ideally, this should be something that can be demo'd quickly and
easily, and it should be impressive without going into great details
of "and see, this is how it works on the inside". So, how would you
brag about this language?

ChrisA