Python 3 regex?

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:09:03 EST 2015

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 12:39:55 AM UTC-6, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:47:08 -0800, Rick Johnson wrote:
> [...]
> > [...]
> > ############################################################
> > #                Ironic Twist (Reformatted)                #
> > ############################################################
> > # Some diabetics, when confronted with hunger, think "I    #
> > # know, I'll eat a box of sugar cookies." -- now they have #
> > # # # two problems!'                                       #
> > ############################################################
>
> Not the best of analogies, since there are two forms of
> diabetes. Those with Type 2 diabetes can best manage their
> illness by avoiding sugar cookies. Those with Type 1
> should keep a box of sugar cookies (well, perhaps glucose
> lollies are more appropriate) on hand for emergencies.

You seem to misunderstand the basic distinction between
type1 and type2 diabetes, it's not a mere dichotomy between
hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia that defines a diabetes
diagnosis, NO, Type1 can be simplified as "insulin
deficiency" and Type2 as "insulin resistance" -- with both
resulting in the inability of glucose (aka: fuel) to nourish
the cells.

YOUR ASSESSMENT OF MY ANALOGY IS JUST AS "WEAK".

Both my and Jamie's analogy present an example of the "cruel
irony". The only *DIFFERENCE* is that mine utilizes a
subject matter which requires less study to understand.

One can learn enough about diabetes to draw his own factual
conclusions of my statement from a simple Google search,
however, for regexps, a neophyte would need days, weeks, or
even months of serious study to drawn sensible conclusions
of merit.

> In any case, most people with diabetes (or at least those
> who are still alive) are reasonably good at managing their
> illness and wouldn't make the choice you suggest. You have
> missed the point that people who misuse regexes are common
> in programming circles, while diabetics who eat a box of
> sugar cookies instead of a meal are rare.

I believe you could find many diabetics who've eaten poorly
and suffered from the result -- even died! I'm not missing
the point, you are!

    HECK, *I'M* THE ONE WHO *DEFINED* THE "POINT".

> To take your analogy to an extreme:
>
>   Some people, when faced with a problem, say "I know, I'll cut
>   my arm off with a pocketknife!" Now they have two problems.
>
> This is not insightful or useful. Except in the most
> specialized and extreme circumstances, such as being
> trapped in the wilderness with a boulder on your arm,
> nobody would consider this to be good advice.

I'm not giving *advice*, i'm merely drawing parallels. I
think your repeated failures to understand me are are a
result of your superficiality. When reading my posts, you
need to learn to: "read between the lines". Many of the
writings i author are implicit philosophical statements,
musings, and/or explorations. For me, everything has deeper
meanings, just begging to be *plundered*!

> But using regexes to validate email addresses or parse
> HTML? The internet is full of people who thought that was
> a good idea.

Again, i did not suggested that people have never done
anything stupid with regexps, on the contrary, this list has
bear witness to many of them. My only intention was to point
out the damaging (albeit interesting) effects of propaganda.

    MY WHOLE POINT IS ABOUT "PROPAGANDA"!

    THAT'S IT!

    DO YOU NEED ME TO DRAW YOU A PICTURE?