Using a ChangeLog as a canonical source of package metadata

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jan 12 00:44:19 EST 2015

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 12:37:03 -0800, wxjmfauth wrote:

> 1) I downloaded pyprimes-0.2.1a.tar.gz
> 2) I extracted the relevant part,
> the py files, the pyprimes subdirectory,
> awful.py, compat23.py, factors.py, test.py, .......... and put in
> d:\junk

That is not the way packages work.

pyprimes is a package, which means it has to stay together in a single
directory called "pyprimes", with a file called "__init__.py" inside it.
It is not a set of independent modules.

Please read the README file, it explains the correct way to install
pyprimes. You should use the setup.py installer script.

If you insist on manually doing this, you can copy the *entire* pyprimes
package directory. That is, unpack the tar.gz file to something like this:

pyprimes/
+-- CHANGES.txt
+-- LICENCE.txt
+-- MANIFEST
+-- README.txt
+-- setup.py
+-- src/
    +-- pyprimes/
        +-- __init__.py
        +-- awful.py
        +-- factors.py
        +-- test.py
        etc.

Copy the *entire* folder pyprimes/src/pyprimes/ and move that somewhere
into your PYTHONPATH.

Or instead you can:

cd pyprimes/src  # ***NOT*** pyprimes/src/pyprimes !!!

and run python from there.

--
Steve