extracting numbers with decimal places from a string

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Sun Jan 11 18:46:07 EST 2015

Joel Goldstick wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
> <PointedEars at web.de> wrote:
>> Joel Goldstick wrote:
>>> Am I missing something.
>>                        ^
>> […]
>> You are missing a leading space character because in the string the comma
>> was followed by one.
>
> I see that now.  Performing float on each element of the list will
> take care of that, or I guess .strip() on each first.

As I showed, .strip() is unnecessary.  But float() is always necessary for
computing the sum and suffices indeed together with s.split() if s is just a
comma-separated list of numeric strings with optional whitespace leading and
trailing the comma:

  print(sum(map(lambda x: float(x), s.split(',')))

Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2