Why do the URLs of posts here change?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jan 9 05:56:44 EST 2015

I have come across this in the past, but today it annoyed me enough that I'm
asking for an explanation.

Posts on this newsgroup/mailing list are archived on the web, but the URLs
seem to change, which leaves dead links if you search for things.

For example, today I searched for a quote about floating point equality by
William Kahan, and I came across this post by me:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-February/468598.html

But that's a dead link! Here's Google's cache of it:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=cache:i0cWb0Tjxe0J:https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-February/468598.html%2Bfloating+point+superstition+equality&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&gws_rd=ssl&hl=en&&ct=clnk

And here is the actual URL, as it appears today:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-February/481374.html

Why has the URL changed? Surely this is a bug? Where can I report it?

--
Steven