Where to learn current best Python packaging practices

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 8 21:37:04 EST 2015

Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 7:12:18 PM UTC-6, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > That does not contradict the position that [python packaging] is an
> > ornery beast full of hidden traps and compromises though; it just
> > means that everything that came before it (in Python) is worse

That's a mis-quoting of what I said. I was referring specifically to
‘pip’ there (i.e. that ‘pip’ is both an ornery beast, and that
everything which came before it in Python is worse). I did not say, and
do not claim, that for Python's packaging.

> Ben, you've just proven the old truism of:
>     "When you're at the bottom, the only way you can go is up!"

And you've just proven the truism that it is easy to interpret someone
as supporting a position if you're willing to change what they actually
wrote.

--
 \         “I call him Governor Bush because that's the only political |
  `\              office he's ever held legally.” —George Carlin, 2008 |