PyPI files should not change their payload (was: Announce: PyPrimes 0.2.1a)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jan 8 19:38:00 EST 2015

Ben Finney wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
>
>> I screwed up the upload to PyPI, and it won't allow you to upload the
>> same version twice. (At least, I don't know of any way to do so.) So I
>> had to bump the version number to re-upload.
>
> There is currently a hack that can be done (I won't say what it is) to
> upload a different payload with the same filename. Please don't do it.

I had thought that I screwed up the metadata, but it turns out I didn't.
When I discovered pip was picking the wrong version number, selecting a
four year old 0.1 version instead of the newly uploaded 0.2 version,
googling suggested that the problem might have been that I had not run

    python setup.py register

before the upload:

    python setup.py sdist bdist_wininst upload

and that re-uploading would fix the problem. So I ended up bumping the
version number so I could re-register and re-upload, but that didn't fix
the problem with pip. (Oh Google, why hast thou failed me???)

> This is widely regarded, and I agree, as a bug: once PyPI has a file of
> a particular name (including the package version), that filename should
> only ever refer to that same content and never anything else.

If "content" means source code and related program data, I agree, but we
should be able to adjust incorrect metadata without a version bump.

[...]
> The issue of remembering to update the Changelog document is another
> matter, which I'll address in a different message.

Yes please.

--
Steven