Help with map python 2

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 5 18:28:40 EST 2015

On 1/5/2015 6:33 AM, flebber wrote:

>> You could do what mathematicians do when they deal with alternating
>> signs: they raise -1 to the power of the index to get an appropriate
>> multiplier.
>>
>>     >>> [ n * (-1) ** n for n in range(10) ]
>>     [0, -1, 2, -3, 4, -5, 6, -7, 8, -9]

Mathematicians operating in the timeless Platonic universe of
mathemtical forms are not concerned with such droll issues as
computation time.  I think most regard '(-1)**n' as an abbreviation for
'(-1 if odd(n) else 1)', where odd(n) is regarded as an O(1) operation,
not as an indication to actually raise -1 to an arbitrarily large power.
which could take an arbitrarily long time.

--
Terry Jan Reedy