If you were starting a project with XML datasource using python

flebber flebber.crue at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 06:54:06 EST 2015

Hi

I need some advice on managing data in the form of xml. I will have to repeatedly import a small xml file but with many complex attributes.

If I want to retain data integrity and keep the import process simple and querying from the stored source simple what are my best options?

There are several options for converting XML into objects such as:
http://lxml.de/objectify.html
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyxml2obj/
http://eulxml.readthedocs.org/en/latest/xmlmap.html

I could push this as an embedded object into mongo and search from there.

Could ignore XML by just converting to json with something like xml2json and pushing to many databases from there.

MySQL, Mongodb, couchdb and existdb are all viable options. Existdb is  directly an XML db so I could directly store from there and use the REST API to access http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/doc/devguide_rest.xml

somewhat bamboozled by the range of options and no clear obvious solution.

If you were starting a project, it relied on XML as its datasource what would you use and why? And have you used it or just speculating?

Thank you for your time

Sayth