Python Tk Tix GUI documentation & builder overview and tips

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Sun Jan 4 03:23:10 EST 2015

Am 03.01.15 um 22:57 schrieb Terry Reedy:
> On 1/3/2015 1:30 PM, abaskm at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have had issues running Tix on python 2.7.6 and 3.4.2:
>>
>> More details on the issue here.
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27751923/tix-widgets-installation-issue
>>
>> Has anyone had similar issues with Tix?
>
> The current doc is wrong in any case.  I opened
> http://bugs.python.org/issue23156

Tix is a compiled extension, so this tix8.4.3.dll is needed as well as a
couple of .tcl file including pkgIndex.tcl, which makes the package
available to the Tcl interpreter. tix*.dll was never part of tk*.dll.

Note that Tix is LEGACY. There are much better options for its widgets
available that are based on ttk. Just to try, I compiled Tix under OSX
for my Tk8.6.3 and ran the widget demos.

Instead of

* Hierarchical Listbox use ttk::treeview, tablelist_tile or tkTreeCtrl,
with increasing order of capabilities and install complexity

* TList: I think tkTreeCtrl can do it, never have used this layout

* CheckList: tablelist can be used with an editable field

* Grid widget: use tkTable

* NoteBook, PanedWindow, ComboBox, LabelFrame -> ttk::notebook,
ttk::panedwindow, ttk::combobox, ttk::labelframe

* Balloon: tcllib::tooltip

Not to mention that the Tix widgets are extremely ugly, while the
widgets from ttk have a near-native look and feel.

Caveat emptor: I've never used Tix, so this is just my impression as an
experienced Tk programmer from running the widget demo

	Christian